Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Simple Things

I am a great lover of good food. From a hunk of cheese with a hunk of bread and some wine to an elaborate multi-course tasting menu, I love good food.
But sometimes, for me, good food is not always snob-worthy. Some of my favorite comfort meals in the world:
  • American cheese grilled on potato bread with a can of Campbell's tomato soup
  • Fried up burger in jarred red sauce over boxed spaghetti with Kraft grated Parmesan and a slice of packaged bread with--wait for it--Country Crock spread on it (I'm sure this is due to the overwhelming presence of margarine in my childhood. I find non-butter "butter" comforting.)
  • Reallyreally rich mashed potatoes with heaping helpings of sauerkraut on top of them
  • Harvard beets forked right from the jar
  • large curd, full fat cottage cheese on Triscuits with Fresca or TaB or ginger ale

Other than the beets, these are all, in one way or another, a remnant of my childhood. I don't have any particularly fond or poor memories of these foods; I simply remember these simple things. And I enjoy them shamelessly.

3 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

My mother often served red beet eggs and I avoided them. It took me some 40 years to acquire a taste for beets and now they are one of my favorite foods.

Vicki said...

I almost always use box spaghetti (except for when I use frozen gnocchi or ravioli), and I *always* use jarred pasta sauce--esp. since they've gotten so much better over the years.

Growing up, we ate our spaghetti with "butter bread," too (or margarine). Spaghetti smushed btwn 2 slices of butter bread is a big ol' giant carbgasm.

Still <3 grilled cheese and tomato soup, esp. when it's cold outside. My other favorite winter snack is toast and hot chocolate bc that's what I would have every day after coming in from playing in the snow. Dipping the toast in the cocoa is mandatory

My fav breakfast (after pancakes) is to make a sandwich of 2 pcs of toast w/ margarine and jelly and a "dippy" egg. HEAVEN! Just had one, but it was cinn raison toast, so I skipped the jelly :).

My two fast food guilty pleasures: 1) sausage, egg, and cheese McGriddle (I allow myself maybe 2 a year); 2) Biggie fries dipped in my chcolate Frosty (only time I ever go to Wendy's)

kaylynuke said...

I truly came to appreciate red beet eggs as an adult, but I use an egg slicer and then have a small piece of beet for each slice of egg. This is one of about four foods that I will add salt to, as well.
We use boxed pasta excpet gnocchi and ravioli as well.
"Butter bread" is Dutchy, right? My family has always called it that. And I usually eat leftover spaghetti as a butter bread/spaghetti sandwich. It's important to me that it is not real butter, though. This is the only time I don't eat real butter.
Dippy eggs are a grown-up pleasure for me. As a kid, I had to have them scrambled or as an omelette or I would not eat them. Omelettes and grilled cheese were two of the first non-prepared foods I could cook. (2nd or 3rd grade, maybe?)
I will eat 1 or 2 McGriddles a year as well, but only sausage, no egg or cheese. Or an egg McMuffin with no meat/extra cheese. Again 1 or 2 a year.

You might also like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails