Saturday, February 02, 2008

Response from friends?

So far I have had one friend respond to me privately regarding my last post. They were supportive beyond what I could hope for at this point, and even said, regarding memory loss, "...and to be perfectly frank, you're memory is already hyper-accentuated for some ungodly reason to almost superhuman levels." Why, thank you! That combined with the reading I've done that suggests the higher the intelligence of a person, the easier it is for them to adapt to memory loss, makes me hopeful. But still nervous. I'm wondering if the lack of response is because of fear of what to say to me, or fear of what may become of me, or disapproval, or just that people haven't got around to reading it yet.
Some suggested reading if you have the time:
Undercurrents by Martha Manning (Her depression was much like mine is and her description of it is the closest to what I would write if I could express myself better. It's also a cheap, easy and short read.)
Shock by Kitty Dukakis and Larry Tye (An easily read and bargain priced book which gives a thorough, obejective and up-to-date history alongside a personal account of depression and receiving the treatment.)
I highly recommend avoiding googling ECT as you will receive mostly the horror story, anti-ECT tirade websites that aren't always honest, up-to-date or realistic.
My mention of the "Church of Scientology" failed to explain that the reason they are likely so anti-psychiatry is that they sell a competing service under the guise of religion. It's all about the money trail, people.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

I'm with you on your decision to go ahead with this treatment Kayly. Keep up your positive attitude as it will help you get through all this.
(((Hugs)))
Robyn

You might also like these:

Related Posts with Thumbnails